Monday 31 December 2012

Give Me Mooer, Baby - Yeah

Pocket Money Pedals,
Matchbox Pedal Boards
Well, I don't tend to do the pedal thing too often (after far too many years of addiction), but I've always liked a bit of old school Fuzz, and have always fancied having a play with one of them there prog-tastic EHX POG 2s - all organ tones and funny noises.

Unfortunately, I can't really justify the dosh on the latter, so it was unlikely to happen in the near future, so imagine how pleased I was when somebody mentioned that there was a clone on the way from Mooer called a Pure Octave as part of their silly cheap pedal range.

And so I went for a shufty and managed to snaffle one direct-from-the-Orient (China, not Leyton), and while I was at it went for a fuzzy pedal too in the shape of their Triangle Buff.

What's In The Box, Daddy-o?
And anyway, showed-up they did, in pretty little black boxes, and diminutive little packages they are too. Both are indeed tiny wee, but metal cased and solid as a rock. You need a 9V PSU as they are too small for batteries, but as I am probably the last person around that finds such things a hassle it is no big deal.

Starting with the fuzz, it is pretty awesome, it has a great range of tones without going into the overly weird ones, so for Sixties and Seventies stuff it is bang on the money. And well, it is a fuzz, it fuzzes, I can't get too worked up about it but love the sounds on offer.

As for the Octaver/POD clone, well that it is great fun. There  are a variety of modes that give a range of uber cool sounds, but best of all for me is that it totally nails Les Pattinson's Echo & The Bunnies tone, so I've basically been playing The Cutter and other selected works very badly ever since. It probably does a lot more - and a few 'Indian' scales and you are into George Harrison territory without too much bother, but it does the sound of the Bunnies, what more could an 80s indie-kid ever want?

It is great fun, has to be said.

And if you were looking for a technical review, sorry this is the wrong place, but creamy and violin-like, and deep sustain and blah blah and blah etc.

So in summary, well worth the dosh if you can pick up one of the Octavers, and the Fuzz is perfectly presentable too, though there are many alternatives so you'd probably want to try it out before you stump up. It reminds me of a Big Muff, with added Coloursound, a side-order of Tonebending, but hold the Fuzz Factory, which is a nice place to be.

And getting back into this pedal bobbins, I'm getting a Sitar pedal from Burford sometime soon, but more on that another day.

I think I might also need a delay, reverb, Showgazer, couple of Overdrives, Flanger, Chorus and Phaser soon too. Well, I finally bought a PSU so it would be rude not to. Though as I haven't got any patch leads, I can only try them one at a time.

La la laaaa



2 comments:

Gary S said...

I'm sorry Mr Jooky sir, but didn't you mean Will Sergeant?

Thanks for the site BTW hugely entertaining, I am determined to get some Mojo pick ups for my MIJ tele, and one day I would like one of your Jags - the seaside one is shaping up very nicely!

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Gah - Will, how could I get that wrong..?

The brain has gone, tis official...

The Mojo Tele pups are the best I've played, whatever the price. Well worth the effort.

Glad you like the site, however inaccurate on certain points :o)