Friday 4 March 2011

Music Radar £100 Challenge 2011 - And So There Were Three

Well, I said I'd show you the final entries, and I guess as was always going to be the way of things, a few people fell at the last and it ended-up with only three chaps completing the course. The best thing of course with this kind of thing is that you see how people's minds work, and pick-up a few innovative tips from others doing something similar to yourself. But like a lot of good things - it is the finishing that counts, however Heath Robinson it has to be to cross the line.

Well, I know what I mean.

Anyway, pretty pictures:

First up is a lovely looking Bass put together by StickyFiddle, a diamond geezer, who always seems to be selling guitars I want when I can't afford them... I like him anyway.

Things to note include

- the rather groovy placement of the knobs,

- the wicked bridge - Gotoh I think, and

- the wonderfilled bubble of goodness that is the logo on the headstock.

- The neck and headstock are all nitro finished and all.


The second, and it has to be said quite sneaky last minute entry, coming down the rails like a bat out of hades was Casperh7 (it's a family name) with his quite beautifully green Ibanez/Little Stevie Vai  inspired chunk of slick necked superstadiumstarduststardum.

This has been a serious bit of work, check out

- The shaped headstock and design features in that neck o' the woods

- The green nitro finished body - quite beautifully done

- The array of pickups and covers. Wonderfully eclectic, and

- The rather pinkish knobs - hence the Vai mention of course.


Thirdly of course, was my own wee effort - The Golden Shower One, which I've mentioned before.
Since then though, I've changed the knobs, as you can see and will probably tweak it a bit more (tuners/nut that sort of thing) in that eternal search for tone. Or maybe to minimise the buzzing and reduce the 1/4" action a bit..

But anyway, it sounds far better than it has any right to and the gold...

*sigh*

I'm in lust, it has to be said and admitted.

And so there we are, the second year I've made the grade. And they are all winners, as it is truly the taking part that counts.

OK, I'm only playing the right-on card as if there had been a judge I realise mine would probably have come 3rd out of the three, but

do I care?

Will it make me try harder next time?

Nahhhh...


StickyFiddle, Casperh7 - I salute thee...

No comments: