Tuesday 8 March 2011

Fuzzy Funday

Well, waiting for the usual non-arrival of couriers, I've had a happy morning playing around with a bit of fuzz. I've said before, but here at home I've got a quite lovely Blackstar HT-1R 1W amp, replete with lushness of reverb. I've also mentioned that I've not really used effects pedals for a while as basically I figured it would be better if I learned how to play the guitar instead, if you see what I mean.

Anyway, pedals are a wee bit addictive and as my soldering paw isn't up to making my own anymore, I've been trying a few others to see what sticks.

Today then, I was pleased to have a play with a couple I'd picked up, which are a Digitech 'Grunge' pedal, and one I've lusted after for a while, an Electro Harmonix 'Big Muff Pi Germanium'.

Starting with the Muff, I have to say I was a little surprised. Firstly, it is a two function pedal, and overdrive and a distortion. Afterly it has four germanium transistors in there somewhere doing something impressive. In fact it sounds great, and there are some beautiful tones in there and all in all it is rather groovy. Apart from, it doesn't actually sound like a Big Muff at all (I've been playing with one of the Russian ones which is bang-on) but the Germanium? Nope. Great but different. Maybe I was expecting something wrong like.

The other, I traded for a pedal with a nice bloke off the MR forum, and I wasn't really sure what to expect. Grunge obviously, but that is only part of it as it gives quite a large range of noises and tones. I'd almost disregarded it, if I'm being totally honest, in my rush to dive into the muff, but if I'm totally honest, I played with the grungy one a lot more and had much more fun.

What does this teach us?

Bugger all, I just thought I'd mention it as I haven't achieved anything useful today.

Now, where the flippin' 'eck is that courier...

2 comments:

fat old man said...

Don't talk to me about couriers ;) I have found I do exist as my wife's karaoke machine arrived without fuss :(

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

I'm really sorry to hear that, about the Karaoke, no chap deserves such pain...

Just emailed you :)