Friday 9 April 2010

All That Glisters

It has felt a wee bit of a slog sorting out my Slider-from-Hell - The Pretty In Pimp One - which is still available for money, ladies and gentlefellas and if you remember, can be bartered for, blah blah blah.

Chump, thy name is marketing.
And I mean that most sincerely.

But even that is beside the point.

Anyway, where was I?

Oh, yeah, The Pimpy One, it was a bit of a slog. So for our next trick I decided that something a bit more fun should be the order of the day - you can't live your life being serious and luthier-like all the time, after all.

But even further closer to the point, I'd picked up a rather battered neck and body combo a few months ago, and have been trying to think of something good to do with it. No idea of the wood, manufacturer or anything else, but it is a 'Super Strat' type of thing, Strat shaped, twin humbuckers and not a lot more to say for it than that.

So, having sanded it down to remove twenty years of nicotine, it has been painted gold - I had some left over from the scratchplate/record thing - and then liberally coated with a first encrustation of red and green glitter.

Obviously, plenty more work to do - more glitter, plenty of sanding and clearcoat to come, and I'm really not sure what else we'll do to the thing...but already it looks a lot more interesting.

And verily Groovy, it has to be said.

Here is a glimpse of the start, I've got no big ideas for this one other than that I wanted the fretboard painted too - having seen the Psychedelic Danelectro and the Vintage copy of Clapton's "Fool" SG... It was a maple fretboard though, I think, so at least I can put a decent thickness of lacquer on it.

Sorry, I think out loud a fair bit.

Not sure how useful that will be, but we'll see.

Got to find some pickups for it yet mind..

Heh ho.

No comments: