Tuesday 13 April 2010

A Tune For Tuesday

I know Suede are only seen as a wee bit of a part of the Britpop wallpaper these days, and only Blur seem to have come out of it with any kind of reputation as 'artists', but I think that may just be a case of history being written by those with the plummiest voices.

For those of us that remember a time 'before', it was Suede's first three singles that were the oh-my-gord moment of the early '90s, and in particular the playing of guitarist Bernard Butler who is the only guitar player I have seen that eclipses Johnny Marr for melody. The man is a genius, and seeing them in some dodgy club on the back of their first single, I couldn't believe my luck. He was like some marionet, all hair and twitches.

Don't get me wrong, his solo stuff has proved patchy, and I think the second Suede album turned him into a composer/producer, but such is life. The album with David McAlmont was of course awesome, and I was lucky to see them play in a hotel once upon a time, when that was being released. Not sure that wasn't their only gig..?

Anyway, Suede in '92 or '93 were awesome. See for yourself, and weep over the grey landscape that is indiedom today.

Oasis won,
and the world
got grey.

No comments: