Sunday 4 April 2010

Introducing "The Pretty In Pimp One"

Well, it's the end of the £100 Challenge today and I seem to have just about snuck in before the end, with a burned and battered-looking slide box of a guitar - The Pretty In Pimp One.

I'll give  better day-lit photos later, but here it is and I have to say it is a stunning one to play...and it sounds absolutely raw.

For the record:

The Donor guitar was a Telecaster Clone. Maple Neck and some rock-solid hardwood body.

The Neck has been shaped, and rough oiled and generally burned to give an impression of smoke-staining with a touch of revolution around the edges.

The Body has been covered with Green Velvet, soft on the front and back, rock solid and rough as hell on the sides.

The Hardware is gold, a Jazzy bridge  and ABR tailpiece, six neat little tuners, which with the gold explains the Family Stone counterpoint, to Marvin Gaye's revolutionary call.

The Scratchplate is made from a 10" Vinyl Single, painted gold and melted strategically to let the pickups, switch, pots and jack to peep through.

The Pickups are Genuine Gibson P100s which sound immense, far better than I hoped.

The action is crazy high, set-up for slide and tuned to Open G.

The Strings are Flatwound Rotosound 12s.

The Name is burned into the headstock, with love.

As I said before, this was meant to be a bit of a concept - mixing revolution's fires with the fun '70s kitsch of a pimp's livery. I think it has ended-up something a wee bit special, and even with my rudimentary slide skills, it sound quite frankly incredible.

And yes, I think I'm allowed to say that..

No comments: