Friday 23 April 2010

Speaking of Les Pauls

It's odd, but when I was buying my first 'Good' guitar - as it happened an Epiphone SG with a bolt-on neck from Grattans catalogue, which after the first thing I had, believe me, really was good - what I really wanted was the one on the opposite page, which was again an Epiphone, but this time a Cherry Sunburst Les Paul Standard.

I was working in a Cash 'n' Carry I think, and the difference between £4 and £9 a week was the same as driving lessons and a pair of Adidas Ivan Lendl trainers, so I went budget, and there we are. It lasted me well, and I gigged with it for a while so I've got no complaints. Wish I still had it.

Anyway, far too many years later, that little niggle has never gone away, and despite owning far too many guitars, I've never gotten around to getting a burst.

And I still haven't, but what has just shown up is a Vintage - as in the brand -Les Paul-a-like, all set neck and humbuckers, bogey tuners and generally nicely pretty coloured, and I have to say that I wish I'd done it ages ago.

Dead good fun to play, even if the scale seems a bit odd.

So, big question, do I just change the tuners, put some better pickups on etc. or do I get radical and satinise it, like I talked about here.

Money in the mouth's position time methinks...time to ponder.

No comments: