Friday 26 October 2012

Putting the ZNW1P1 into Cornell-Dubiliers Chiclet / Phonebooks

Well, we're into school holibob hell once more, so progress a la Jook is going to be slow-to-non-existent for a week or so, but I'm hoping I'll get at least The Fallen One sorted once the new switch arrives, and maybe push a couple of other things along too.

I do live in Hopeville, Portishead, of course.

One interesting thing is that I snapped-up a lefty Strat body the other day, it arrived this morning, and I'm seeing this as a bit of a holibob project, as #1 son is keen to do only our second ever Kylie's Cool Guitar, and in the vein (vain?) of The Beano One from all that time ago, cover it with a comic book or three.

As to what comic, well that is TBC, but as I have a little bundle of lippy single coil pickups I picked up from somewhere or other once-upon-a-long-ago that appeal to him, they might be appearing. I don't actually like Strats much in terms of three single coils, but the aesthetic of the lippy toobs just about pacifies me.

It also gives me a good excuse to try one of Mojo Pickups' Strat looms complete with his rather be-aged looking caps.

I have to admit, I keep looking at this foto of his proper 50s style one and feeling a tingle.

I know it is getting sad, but I am loving the look of his vintage caps (that feels weird saying that), the Red Tigers in The Chi Chi One are stunningly cool - like little fireworks - but I've always loved the big clunky vintage Strat ones, even if ZNW1P1 isn't exactly a name that tongue-trips itself into your sub-conscious.

Oh, they are known as Cornell-Dubiliers Chiclet / Phonebook styles, that's easier to remember.

I know a couple of people were surprised when I started using Marc's looms on most of the guitars, but I think over time I've realised that I don't in fact have to do everything and that it makes a lot of sense that if someone else can do bits of it better than I can (and given my shaky mitts and general clumsiness, that is definitely the case here) I should use the best person I can find's talents appropriately. I'm secure enough, I can even wear pink shirts without worrying. I don't, but I could if I had one.

The advantage of course is that Mojo Pickups also make these super cool capacitors that give the vintage vibe like nowt else, but there we are.

OK, getting sidetracked, but you can see what I mean. The fact that the parts and wiring is goodly top-notch and means I have minimum soldering to do makes the guitars better than I could, and that is the point of it all., if there really is one

But there we are, in summary, The Marvel Us One, coming one day probably possibly maybe.

La la laaaaa

EDIT: For the chaps who were asking where to get Mojo Pickups' looms, he has some listed on eBay at the moment Here.

Just keep your hands off the pedals, I've got my eye on them...

No comments: