Tuesday 16 October 2012

Inching Toward Hartlepool

Obviously, A bigger chunk of wood might be in order
Well, things seem to be tickling along quite nicely at the moment, I've started chopping the wood for The Pearly Dewdrop One, and the others are all moving in the right direction.

In fact the only one that is niggling a wee bit is The Hartlepool One, which in some ways had overlapped Pearl, being made of wood and Teardrop of shape.

So thinking about it, I still want to have a go at a Semi-acoustic/Danelectro type of thing, but I think I'm going to instead make something that is more of a Rickenbacker 620 instead. Which of course is another guitar I've always wanted but never had the money/being able to justify such riches, so this is as close as I am going to get I expect.

So by way of an update/re-engineering/volte-mush, The Hartlepool One will now be:

1. A Semi-acoustic 620 shape

2. Strat neck with big headstock

3. Finished in Copper - maybe leaf, haven't done any leafing for a while.

4. I might as well make a Ricko-like 'plate out of a Byrds record while I'm at it.

5. I guess the obvious pickup(s) be Mr Mojo Toaster-tops, but I'll have a think about that as I fancy trying a pair of his Filter-trons or even a full sized Wide Range jobby. Dunno yet, but I'm not trying to make a Ricky as such, so it is nice to mix things up a wee tad.

6. And that is about that.

I think I will be going for a solid centre block for the neck and pickups to be joined to, which makes for a sturdier tub in many ways, though I am really tempted to have the top split into two with one half being hinged, but maybe that is asking for trouble. Though it would be a handy place to keep me sarnies, so who knows. Of course if I got it right I could make it so you can swap different body shapes on to it, but I might be wandering in the vale of De Quincey-type folk at this point.

La la laaa


No comments: