Tuesday 2 October 2012

Introducing: The TV Dinner One

Well, I'd like to introduce you to the latest progeny of the Jooky stable, as The TV Dinner One is officially in dah harrss. And what an understatedly cool looker it is too.

If you remember, the original idea for this was that it would be influenced by my imaginary friend, a tatty and faded transvestite called Erika and in my mind at least that turns out to be an Old-Wood-looking Tele with an acid strewn scratchplate that, like gauche makeup, is meant to deflect the eye from the reality.

Deep, I am, verily.

So from the top, it is:

1. A two piece solid walnut body, that has been stained a darker colour, scraped and torn around the edges and generally looks a little battered to the untrained eye. I wanted this to get that 'Old Wood' look and I think it has just about got there, which is cool and surprising in equal measurements.

2. The neck is a lovely maple/maplejob, with aged Wilkinson tuners at the top being solid in the face of many a hissy fit.

3. The scratchplate has layers of bronze and copper with acid gently sprinkled into it's face for variety. Kinda the average Saturday night in the places Erika hangs, as it were.

4. Pickups are a matched set of Mojo Broadcasters, specially wound by Marc Ransley and to my mind the best sounding Tele pickups there are, bar none.

5. A matching wiring loom using all the old familiar parts was also created for this guitar by Marc and as ever gives great sounds as well as looking as cool as funk.

6. Other than that the aged Wilkinson traditional Tele bridge is adjustable for intonational goodliness and a super shiny ash tray adorns the top, for a bit of out-of-place glitz. The knobs and control plate are also aged nicely, just for good measure.

How does it play?

Well, I can honestly say it is one of the nicest Teles I've ever strummed and picked, and I know I'm biased but what else can I do but speak as I find?

It just is.

The tones are fantastic and there is a real depth which may be enhanced by the walnut, but to be honest I don't really know. I plugged it in and started smiling, and that is how I rate guitars.

So there we are, I think we've done Erika proud, The TV Dinner One. Lovely, faded, and a bit beaten about the ring and glamorous all in one.

La la laaa

p.s. Erika sends hugs, mwah x






No comments: