Tuesday 2 November 2010

Vapourware - Riding The Peace Train

As I seem to be talking 'Vapourware' at the moment - although I do fully intend to actually build a few guitars soon, so it is more of a case of setting me stall out really - I thought I'd tell you my plans for that wonderfilled guitar-that-I-know-nowt about that does a mean impression of Hawkwind's Silver Machine.

I mentioned it the other day and a couple of people have since told me that it is definitely of a 1960s vintage, and that it hasn't been upgraded, though nobody has produced the pictures, so who knows really.

Where was I?
Oh yes. Anyway, I'm talking about the Strat-a-like with lots of switches and knobs and an auto-wah and fuzzbox built-in.

Well, having a good an' proper look now, I've decided that what I'm going to do is upgrade the tuners and possibly the neck if it is anywhere near a standard size and it doesn't scrub up decent like. I'm then going to give it the ultimate in groovy finishes, as befits it's possible vintage, and depending on what I find under the hood, I might well swap the pickups for something else. It depends though, and I must admit I'm slightly reluctant to swap the pickups as the existing ones sound so bloomin' good, but like I say, I'll see where we're at when I get to that part...)

Other than that, despite my initial misgivings, I've completed fallen in love with the bridge, so that stays and I am scared to death to rewire the effects, as god knows what they will look like, and as they don't crackle or hum, that is fine anyway.

The finish, I think, will be something special (I always say that, but am I wrong?) and I've already got a good idea of what that will be.

All in all then, not too bad and I still can't believe how much fun it is. All it really needs now is a name - 'The Peace Train One' has a nice ring to it.



***

Ooh, I do like Natalie Merchant

No comments: