Thursday 4 November 2010

Jump Starting The Peace Train

Well, Geoff's Custom OCD One is into the lacquer/dry/sand/repeat loop at the moment and will be for a while yet, so I've started thinking a bit more seriously about what-comes-next, and more to the point when.

First of all, I am really intrigued by the one-with-all-the switches - The Peace Train One. Mainly because it is just so odd.

I mentioned the bridge being aluminium (I think) and the fact that it has a zero fret, which lets face it, you don't see too often. But there are other things too.

Obviously, having built-in effects is not exactly mainstream these days (apart from in Gibson-land, for some reason) but it is the little things that catch the eye. For instance, I've taken it to bits this morning and couldn't get over how short the neck 'bolts' are - tiny wee things, but when I took the last one out and removed the neck plate, what do I find but that it is covering three quite solid screws that are really holding the neck together... Again, I don't think I've seen anybody have a cover like that before, most odd.

I really can't make my mind up about it - it is either old, and there was a different approach to crafting even, what I would guess to be, guitars from the cheaper end of the continuum, or it is just a complete oddity. Either way, I think it is lovely, and well worth the effort to take it up a few notches. It sounds like a Dano, so maybe that was the starting point and then things just went a bit...wooooaaahhhh.

I can understand how that can happen.

Anyway, it is in bits now, and I have started on it's finish, which I think will be quite fitting.

As I'm trying to remember to do my bobbins in public these days (since the restraining order lapsed, anyway), this is the back of the wee Peace Train one, with it's very first coat of glue and grainy filler...enjoy.

Love-filled peace, to one and all...

4 comments:

thecurefan said...

NIce.. Love the fabric, very fitting. Should look Groovy Baby

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Yes, I think it may well be the happiest looking guitar I've ever done...

Fat Old Man said...

well this looks great. I was going to be in the market to buy one of your creations a couple of weeks ago - but had to spend my spare cash on my car - now I feel quite lucky - because I kind of glad I waited as I like the look of this a lot!!!

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Glad you like the look of it FoM, I think it is going to be seriously quirky...