Friday 12 November 2010

Spirit of '59, or maybe '69 - Pure indecision

I'm struggling a bit at the moment to decide what to do with the Danelectro '59 (or is it '69, I forget) reissue that I had as a part-ex the other week.

Would you cover a Dano in this? What would Jimmy P. think?
My initial thought was that I would give it a totally outlandish finish - that one over there - you can't try and be subtle with a Dano, lets face it - and maybe change the tuners (which aren't great) and perhaps the pickups too. Bridge and nut are awesome of course, but I wasn't too sure about the bridge pickup especially.

Where I'm stuck though, is what I do with the sticky tape binding around the edges. I mean, I could take it off and glue it back on once I've 'finished' it, and if I knacker it up Danelectro even sell it as a part, but I really don't know whether I want it at all, or more to the point, if I leave it off does that kill the guitar's original design.

I mean, whatever I do, I love the scratchplate, so that will stay in some form - I wonder if I could make a copper one and whether you can get glittery enamel, hmmm... - but that tape. Sheesh, bit of a tricky one.

As for the pickups, I like the Kent Armstrong ones, but I wonder what else is out there?

I'd love a P90 sound, but would it work?
Would it still be a Dano that I'd love etc.

Yours, in dilemma.

6 comments:

thecurefan said...

i'd leave it off, or cover it. After all you're changing the design by covering in paisley. Or you could do a contrasting paisley band. Just my thoughts though.

Geoff

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

I think you kight be right Geoff, leaving it off could be the best approach...the scracthplate defines it somewhat anyway, I think.

Heh ho

john b said...

how about a copper band ?

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Hi John & welcome...

Now that's an idea, but having had a go this week, I'm not sure that I wouldn't end-up getting sued for slashing the players arm ;)

Might be worth a go, mind you...

john b said...

just a thought but how about folding the copper strip so you had a rolled edge on each side (rather than sharp ). then instead of taking the band to the full width of the body stop it short of the edge ( say 5 mm each side )

i know i m gonna end up wanting it back. ;-)

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Ah, its you John - should have clocked it..

That might be worth a go though. I must admit i'm still not sure on the copper side of things... The enamel looked stunning, but i think I need some more practise with the old 'tin snips' and bending things, might be a little out of my league... ;)

We'll see though.