Wednesday 24 November 2010

More Delays and My First Copper Thingie..

Jooky Copper Scratchplate - Imagine
Well, for all my high hopes of getting the OCD One complete yesterday, after far-too-much-pain, it turned out that one of the 'pots' was knacked, and it occurred to me far too late in the day to get a new one, so that is the job for today. Get a pot, fix the guitar. Simple.

And then that will really be it.
End of.
Honest.


(Hopefully.)

In the mean time, I stripped the J-Bird One down so that it is ready for finishing and ordered what remained of the parts - minus the pickups and scratchplate, of course, which I'm still sniffing about for.

Never simple in the Jookydome, telling yer.

A guitar loses an Orca, gains a Seal


Other than that, I started to lacquer The Fat Pussy One and The Jangly One (must remember to use really short names in future to save on the typing)

As far as The Jangly One goes, last night I girded my loins and then dipped them into the hot water that is cutting a scratchplate out of copper and then enameling it. OK, as the body is quite a busy design, I should probably have gone for something simple, and I did thank that for a moment, but then thought - stuff it - and dived headfirst into something impressionistic with two types of glitter...



This took quite a few layers and 'firings' - god I am sooo very arty - and still has to have a clear top put on it, but what do you think?

I have to say, drilling the holes was a complete bitch, but that will no doubt come with practice, or maybe the right tools, but the cutting out the shape only cost me minor blood loss. But I get that every time I change a string, so nothing new there. (All those people who have a Jooky guitar are looking carefully at stains that assumed were intended for Jookiness purposes.)

It is really a bit glittery, but you can't tell. Sneaky huh?
If nowt else it has fired me up (a tee and a hee) to get on with the proper copper topped Tele, but the Customs come first so I'll have to fit that in when and as. At least I know what a usable thickness is of copper now, that was a voyage of discovery.

One drawback mind you, I forgot to drill the screw holes (ahem).

And so back to the OCD one today... Must remember to buy Geoff a pint after all this...

4 comments:

thecurefan said...

I should be buying you a pint after all the stress of the last week or so. Especially as I'm not allowed to due to being on antibiotics.

Dickinstein said...

Love the look of that scratchplate , really goes well.with the rest of the finish . Looking forward to seeing some photos of my finish . Hope geoffs Is sorted soon ;-)

thecurefan said...

yeah forgot to add, love the scratchplate. Any plans to do a guitar with that type of finish.

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Hi both

Yes, Geoff's should finally be done today - just got to get a pot to fit in...then it is time for the 'J-Bird One'...

On the copper - I've got a second part to that scratchplate I want to try, but longer term I'm going to do a full copper top on a Tele - a sort of Jooky Trussart kind of thing - and then hopefully chop a body or two meself and concentrate on them for a while in the new year, which should be fun.

Might have to buy a bigger box of plasters first, mind.