Saturday 20 November 2010

Jangle Jewelry

WIP - The Jangly One, minus just about everything
I was quite pleased with myself yesterday as I managed to pick up a couple of Kent Armstrong Lipstick pickups for the Jangly One to replace the 'Stock' reissue jobbies. They are the slightly hotter than normal ones, which I'm thinking will keep 'that' sound, but maybe give a couple more tricks for the olde one-trick-pony too.

They are the same ones I've put in the OCD One, of course, which should be as good a recommendation as you can get, if I ever get it back from the soldering-chap and find out for sure, but different bodies, wiring and everything else, well you never can tell.

I am chuffed with how the wee beasty is coming together. I've done the body work, and the paisley is quite simply gob-smacking, but I had a bit of a dither with the scratchplate as initially I was going with a trancy rave kind of thing, but it looked horrendous and now I can't even begin to think why I ever thought it would work.

Instead then, I'm going to break my duck and dip my toes in the enameled copper water and have a scratchplate like nothing else. I am still doing the copper-topped Tele, but this seems to be a good time to try it out on a smaller scale, so we shall see.

If you look at the comments, John - the proud owner of the Funky Spangled One - who part ex'd the Dano in the first place made a suggestion I like, which was a copper banding  that runs around the edge and overlaps onto the front and back. To replace the traditional Dano cheapo vinyl tape 'binding', if you see what I mean.

Well, I'm not sure if I am up to the job, but if I can find some suitable copper, I might just give it a go. I also like the idea of nailing it down using either copper or zinc nails if I can find some small enough. Against the paisley I think it would look amazing. So cheers John, much appreciated.

As for the tuners, as everything is getting a bit gaudy at best, I'm going to see if the gold plated Gotoh tuners I picked up the other day will work. The Dano ones were OK-ish, but, I'm never one for half-measures if I can go ferret, as it were.

By the way, here are some veeerrryyy early WIP fotos of the Jangly One and the Fat Pussy One.
The taste-filled Fat Pussy One WIP

All good stuff.

4 comments:

Fat Old Man said...

I thought I was the proud owner of the Funky One ;)and I've nver had a Dano - although looking at this one it is very tempting.

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Err, you are quite right, of course, I meant the Spangled One. I'm getting myself confused here somewhat.

brrrraaaaiiiinnnnnddddeeeeaaaaddddd am we

Everybody should have a bit of Hawaii 5-0 in thir life though...

thecurefan said...

We just wants are precious...

thecurefan said...

that should be our not are...... excuse my lousy english