Saturday 13 November 2010

Katy's Killer Customs

Katy plays guitar,
and married a spider from mars,
but has nowt to do with our guitars
Well, Geoff’s OCD One is very nearly ready to hand over to him – I had to get a local tech to do the soldering again, but there we are, and it will really be nice to meet him after all this email activity, putting the guitar together.

Just hope he likes it ‘in the wood’ as it were.

I must admit, I had been thinking about the Customs idea for quite a while, but had held back for a couple of reasons –

1.    I was a bit worried that it wouldn’t work. The person wanting the guitar would really have to ‘buy in’ to the whole Jooky idea, the Rough Finishing and environmentally-sound use of second-hand parts, and all that. Oh and the strange approach to finishing guitars in paper and cloth, of course. I forget that isn’t run-of-the-mill at times.

Also, it isn’t like I am a traditional luthier who is starting with a couple of chunks of wood and a tub of nitro asking what shape you want… Saying that, the guitars are a lot cheaper too, and perhaps even more one-off than the rest of the Jooky guitars.

2.    The second reason of course, is that I’ve gotten very used to following my own path with these guitars, and change my mind – get excited/inspired and generally can be a bit of a nitemare, I’m sure.

Could I stick, more or less, to a specification then?
A big question, but so far at least, as long as it is clear and agreed up front, it seems as though I can. Which is all-good, and has been a lot of fun.

So would I do it again, and I guess more to the point – would anybody else want me to?

Well, from my perspective, I came to conclusion that I would. It was fun, it stuck to the ‘ethos’ and as long as I’m clear upfront about what I do, I can’t see that there should be too many problems…

Least, I hope so anyway.

And as it happens, it seems that somebody else does want one, and so for the last couple or few days I’ve been happily exchanging emails about what will prove to be the yet unnamed, second ever Jooky Custom guitar.

More about that soon, I expect, but it seems as though ‘Katy’s Killer Customs’ – I figured I needed a new name for these – might just have wings after all.

5 comments:

Dickinstein said...

I still have no idea what to call it , the j- bird one maybe ?

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Tough call isn't it? :)

I spend days and hours agonising over the names, I must admit (ahem)

Dickinstein said...

The Marvel-ous J-Bird one ?

Dickinstein said...

The j-bird one i think

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

"Free the J-Bird One"..?

No, doesn't really work, I guess..