Sunday 14 November 2010

I Dunno

Since I started talking about the OCD One, it's been quite surprising how many people have asked about them.

I guess we guitarists all like the idea of a one-off, built to fit our own ideas of what a guitar should be and I have to admit that the Jooky ones are about as one-off as you can get.

Anyway, the question I've never quite had an adequate answer for is 'How much do they cost', as to be perfectly honest, it depends on so many things.

When I make them for myself, I decide what I'm going to build and then hustle around looking for parts, or as I've said before, I come across parts and that sets me off in a different direction. Cost doesn't really come into it - I make something I like or that interests me and then when I sell it, I try to get enough money for it that I can make something else. Profit and wages don't really come into the equation either. And if that means I happen to have the money to pick-up a Bare Knuckle P90 when I see one - great - and if I don't have enough, I might get a PRS one, or an IronGear, or whatever.

In terms of the Katy's Killer Customs though, it is a rubbish answer, but it really depends what people want as far as parts go, if you are verily specific, it will be a case of what I can turn up and how much they cost, If you want new parts, they cost more than second-hand etc.

With Geoff, and the OCD One, we did it the other way around. We agreed a budget, and I then worked within that, having a base spec but trying to improve on it as we went along with anything better that I could lay my hands on. For example, when I planned things initially, I was expecting to use some nice Wilkinson tuners, for instance, but then came across some (superior) Schaller ones going second-hand, and instead went for them.

Similarly, I was going to use some Mexican Fender Strat pickups, but then had some Kent Armstrong lipstick ones available, so went with those instead, and so on.

And to be honest, that is probably the best approach, with the sticky bit being the setting a budget up front. Which brings me back all around the round thing.

So, much as it bugs me in a way, as I'd much rather be thinking about making guitars than talking about money, I'm thinking that what I should do is set a price for an example Jooky Custom guitar, which can then be adjusted based on specific requirements, as was suggested in our comments section by 17FiftySeven, who obviously is more switched on than I am..

And so that is a plan, the Jooky Guitar Emporium will soon have a price-list of sorts.
How scary is that?

3 comments:

thecurefan said...

What have I started.......................

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

I really hate to think, mate...

Dickinstein said...

well i'm happy abou it anyway , can't wait :-)