Sunday 28 November 2010

Punishment For All. Just like the '80s all over again

Well, everything is going J-Bird at the moment, but it is the finish that is taking a bit of time to work out. The scratchplate was the final piece of the jiggysaw, but I think we've just about got that 'designed' now, and I'm sending it off for somebody else to cut it.

I could probably do it myself, but as there is so much going into it, and my wobbly hands, it made sense to get a pro to do it. (Am I selling out? No burning holes with a soldering iron anymore? No pyrography tools, burned '78s and everything getting a little twee and pristine? Dunno. can't see it yet mind. Wait until you see the Jangly One finished before you decide.)

The finish is my next concern as we are still at the R&D stage, but I've been picking brains and I think we've got a plan now.

Basically, the idea is for the body to be covered with pages from a 1980s Marvel 'Punisher' comic or three, with this being stained a blue colour before having a logo superimposed over the top. It should make for a stunning looking finish and as per, I can't really wait to see how it turns out.

Silly as it sounds, it is the staining that has been the problem, as trying acrylic, water colour and even ink looked to work initially, but disappeared once the lacquer went on. Anyway, I've been picking them there brains and am going to try a spirit based stain now, so fingers crossed that will sort it out.

Other than that, I gave the OCD One a high volume test and really annoyingly the buzz resurrected itself. I was rather err, 'angry', but luckily didn't go Townsend about it. As the only parts that haven't been changed in the last week are the output jack socket and the mini-switch for the coil tap, I'm going to swap them out too, and hopefully....

(If this turns out to be my mobile fone interfering with the guitar, a thought that woke me up at 4am, that really will get kicked into the estuary this time).

6 comments:

Dickinstein said...

Cool beans....

thecurefan said...

sounds awesome.

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Yes, I think it is going to be well cool...just waiting for a load of stuff to show up via the postie and we're away.

OCD One is all back together, btw, just need to give it a test tomorrow - too cold today to hang around barns ;)

thecurefan said...

Dont blame you. Its 12:08 and the car is still iced up even though the suns out. Earliest I can do a meet up is Tuesday as I have my 'meeting' with wrk tomorrow.

thecurefan said...

would the clear blue one be any good to use......or is it too dark


http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/lacquer.html

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

That's a good idea Geoff - I'd forgotten about him. Which is daft as that is where I've had my cans of Nitro before... (doh)

I can see a while lot of testering this week :)