Thursday 18 November 2010

Needing a Fat Pussy

I did suddenly think that there is a bit of a lack in my life right now, a bit of hardcore that I'm missing out on, so I decided that as is traditional in Jooklyand, I needed to do another guitar with a P90.

What prompted this was a bunch of Strat parts in one corner, and a long-held desire to have a pickup handwound for me by Allan Price at Catswhisker pickups.

Catswhisker do a humbucker sized P90 called The Fat Moggy that I’ve heard from quite a few people is bang on the money. I tried one in a Les Paul a while back and it sounded stunning and since then I've had a bit of a yen.

I do realise that it kinda goes against the old Jooky ethos, but I've had my eyes open for ages trying to see one for sale second hand but they never seem to come up, which I took as a good sign. So I've bitten on the bullet and had one handwound for me to fit the specific guitar, and there we are.

Anyway, that's the plan and imagine how impressed I was at Allan's 'service. I ordered the pickup on Saturday morning, and he emailed me that evening to say he had already wound it, would be wax potting it Sunday and posting it to me Monday. And true to his word it was delivered here on Tuesday morning.

Bleeding hell, the guy is a diamond. I just wish I'd got the guitar ready a bit quicker...

I must admit, in my search for a perfect P90 sound out of a humbucker packet, I think I'm going to try a few of the 'other' handwinders in the UK over the next few months, but I bet nobody delivers quicker than that. The Bare Knuckle Mississippi Queen is excellent, but it is nice to see what else is out there. So I've got Shed and Wizard on my radar too for future builds... Shed's even come with a proper plastic, scaled down soapbar cover, and you don't know how tempting that is to me...

As for the guitar, I thought this time, that I would go for a two-tone Paisley kind of thing. Something a bit more understated than the recent Funky One and Jangly Ones have seen. So what I have planned is that classic red and black contrast, for a bit of drama and the rest. Though this in no way means that I am a Holocaust denier or lover of Wagner. I never am fancy dressed up as a Tory politician either.

I think it will look pretty good when it is done, The Fat Pussy One.

No comments: