Tuesday 27 December 2011

Well Oiled

Well, we're beyond Boxing Day and I've snuck in a couple of Jooky bits between the Quorn fillets and chocolate and liquorice allsort excess.

Not a lot to see, in truth, but I finished oiling up The Old Gordo and let it dry so that it is nice and nourished and shiny, and since have started to polish using the 'Stock Sheen and Conditioner', which goes on wet and needs a fair bit of buffing. 

I'm aiming for more of a softish sheen than a full on gloss, but we'll see how it turns out over the next few days. As I said, if I can get it playable by the end of the year I'll be well pleased with meself.

Once the buffing is done I have actually bought a second type of wax finish for the final coat, but it might be gilding the tulip and I may recognise it as 'finished' before I get that far anyway.

After that it is a put together job and a bit of soldering (and I got a shiny new soldering iron for Christmas) so hopefully not too much grief to come from that direction. Though I've just remembered the tuners never arrived before Xmas, so I'll probably be waiting for a couple of days for those.

Anyway, all the polishing is done so I'm off to linseed oil my rosewood...which is also now done, and looks lovely and dark and woody.

I've also just put the pickups on it, as it happens, the Seymour Duncan Phat Cat at the neck - bit of P90 joy - and I've stuck with the Gordo pickup at the bridge as I rather liked it and can't think of 'owt better at the moment. For the pots I've gone CTS, and the switch is bog standard Switchcraft

La la laaaa

*** Later ****

As it happens, I've since managed to wire this baby up and finish the polishing. It looks rather cool and sheeny, it has to be said.

All I'm waiting for now are the tuners and some bigger strap pin things as the others were a bit ropey.

Teerr-daaahhh



No comments: