Friday 9 December 2011

And Finally...

Well, I'm all rather pleased with meself today, so I am, as I've managed to get to the bottom of the quietnessicity of The Old Burny One. Rather typically it was simple, and even more as expected it was down to me. Basically, I'd managed to break a wire and couldn't really tell until I'd stripped it all out and replaced it.

Heh ho, such is life.

Other than that, I need to string it up, set it up and we are there. I'll do a proper introduction once it is finally back together again, next week sometime I expect..

In other news, I finally got hold of an Explorer to play with - a body and neck from downtown Osaka or somewhere, so that will be nice in the new year. I've also divested meself of The Orpheum and the Dot, with the Jaguar bass going soon too. In fact there are very few guitars left, just an old acoustic my lovely Jazzmaster and the battered old Gordo which I'm giving a refurb.

I'd actually sold the Gordo, but on it's travels it seems to have developed a couple of teeny splits on the headstock. This I've taken as a sign from somewhere or other that I should keep the guitar forever. And that I should give it a bit of love.

So the plan is to firstly glue and clamp the headstock. After that I'm going to put new tuners on as I think my half-hearted use of some old Epi ones caused the weakness that caused the fault that gathered the grain, that ground it to flour, that cooked the bread that gave me indigestion.

After the repairs, I've decided to make the most of the battered and scribbled over wood and give it the full Gunstock experience - some walnut stain, Tung-Oil and a good wire-wool and polish.

As for the rest I'm going to replace the wraparound with something more newerish, and as I've never been 100% on the pickups, I'm going to replace them. I have a Seymour Duncan '59, which will be nice at the bridge and I'll probably put a P90 at the neck - not sure what yet, we'll just have to see.

2 comments:

Jalapeno said...

Why not Cabronita-ise the GS - couple of Gretsch pickups and the push/pull tone magickery ?

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Heh Jal :)
Yes, not a bad idea, but it is all done now.. I do fancy having a go at a La Cab this year. I shelved the one I had planned, but maybe I was a wee bit hasty...