Thursday 1 December 2011

Loving The Smell of Vaporware...

Well, teachers striking stopped play yesterday, but today - with a handful of new leccy parts - a steadier soldering mitt and a well sprung step, I'm going to finish The Bella Donna One, not least because my rosewood veneer arrived yesterday, and if I get Bella and the Old Burny sorted I can start to play with it, conscience clear.

To start with then, unsurprisingly I'm going to sort the soldering out. That of course may take all day, but hopefully not.

After that all that is left is to put the tuners on, which I hadn't quite gotten around to doing, and have a go at the nut as it was tightly cut for 6s by the look of things.

I'm not going to even begin to think about the Old Burny One until this babbette is out of the way.

However, I have been pondering The Rosey Wood One. If things go to plan it will have a rosewood veneer front and back, with a rust binding around the edges. There may be some dribbling involved in that, of course.

Not sure if I'm pushing my luck, but I'm going to try and veneer the front face of the headstock. Then again, if I get that far who can tell.

I've asked for some advice from people who know more than I, and I can't say that they looked inspired by the possibility of my success, but you never know. I've always had a bit of a punk ideal about things anyway.

I mean, maybe it isn't because they know a lot more about it than I do, have experience and things like that.

Maybe I'm a natural, or the fact that I hadn't even heard of any of the tools they mentioned is a positive in some small, outside-of-the-box, weirdish way.

Maybe it will work, in the same way that if I go wrong when I'm driving somewhere I just keep driving, sure that something will happen somewhere. (Usually turning around in a lay-by, or meeting cows head on and getting shouted at by Gloucestershire farmers, but I'll ignore that for now.)

Maybe it will just prove to be OK after all.

Who knows?

Given that the chances of this working are slim, I've not really thought about any of the parts, but I think trad Tele with cool pickups probably covers it.

But The Bella Donna One, focus, dear, focus. Don't get distracted.

No comments: