Tuesday 22 December 2009

DIY Pedal Kits - One For The Builders


Looking at our web stats, I notice that we seem to get quite a few people looking for DIY pedal kits, which we don't actually make or sell.

Obviously there are plenty of people such as BYOC and Tonepad who will supply your needs, but I must admit, being in the UK this can be a bit time-consuming and expensive and when kits start to get more expensive than buying a pedal that they are cloning, it can be a bit of a leap of faith and also not a little off putting, especially if it is a first attempt at building an effect for yourself.

Anyway, a while back I bought a fuzz kit from a fella on the Music Radar forums, and it was excellent. I was getting into my DIY trip and it taught me a lot, and I have to say the bloke in question was cool in not sniggering when I asked some quite stupid questions. The pedal sounded brilliant as well, and I've since noticed that everybody else on said forum who had gone for a kit was raving about them too (though like me, most were relieved that he was willing to put himself out on the Q&A front.) As it happens I've written something about the whole pedal build thing for the GuitarTools site, which will hopefully be up early in the new year.

But to the point - the fella has obviously gone on to bigger things and I've just found out that he has launched a company called (and it is all in the branding) DIY Pedal Kits.Com and as he is based in the UK, I think that if you fancy having a go, and are similarly geographically challenged, he is the one I would recommend as a great starting point.

Actually, I'd recommend him wherever you are.

He has a few different kits now too, and the prices look good so what have you got to lose?

(And no, I don't know him, we aren't related and I paid for my kit. It is just credit where it is due.)

No comments: