Tuesday 15 April 2014

Something Old Yet Something New

Well, I said just the other day that whilst I couldn't afford the '50s Gibson Les Paul Jr (shhhaaammmeee) I had taken a punt on an old Rosetti guitar.

And it was fun as I bought it totally blind, deliberately didn't go for fotos or ask any questions and really didn't know what I was going to be getting. So when it arrived, I was really rather pleased.

And now that I have scraped the grime off it, tweaked the leccy bits and put the wrong knobs on (until I can find some old creamy plastic ones), here it be.

Doing a bit of research I was quite pleased to find on the rather superb Guitar Blog that it is a re-badged Egmond, and even more surprised that the groovy finish was original Here and Here will show you what I mean) as I must admit I was assuming somebody had used Fablon in the '80s. Most of my school books looked like this guitar.

As for sounds, well they have proven to be surprisingly rich - the variotone also acts as a pickup selector and I haven't really worked out what the mini switch does - it does something, but exactly what....who can say.

So in summary, it is definitely fun, the neck is very playable and other than the tuners, which need replacing/some love, it is a little treasure.

And all for £50, can't be bad. Next time we'll be moving on to Pierre Cardin Trackies from the rag market.

La la laaa








No comments: