Saturday 5 April 2014

Imagine a '56/'58 Les Paul Jr For a Grand

Well, it is nowt to do with me, but I have to say Les Paul Jrs are cool. I'd love a replica by a top luthier - JXG I've mentioned before - but the thought of owning a real, genuine old 'un is frankly beyond me.

I mean, there is something special about those guitars.

And then when you see one for £1000 and you haven't got the snaffle, it is slightly heartbreaking.

OK, it is one of the 3/4 scale ones they made between '56 and '58 - but like that matters - but a grand. Painful.

So as I have seen such a mythical beast, I thought I'd point it out in case it is of interest to the group. It is for sale at the moment on The Fretboard by a nice guy called Dave (I'm buying his '50s Rosetti which is more in my price range of, err, £50) Here or if you want to email me I can pass you on to him.

Here is his description anyway, excuse me while I gently weep.

Gibson Les Paul Junior 56/58. Now here's an interesting one. Firstly it's short scale. Don't let that put you off too much. I'm over six foot and am quite at home on a sixties Precision. It had a refinish in the seventies, which has aged nicely and a new logo (traces of the old one can be seen underneath). It had a refret late last year as there was not much left of the originals. The pickup is really amazing. Very hot, about the same as a TVJones Powertron. Obviously the scale length will put a lot of you off, but then you'd be missing out on a very light weight resonant vintage guitar that you can actually take to gigs. Come and give it a try. My tea is shite, but I make a hell of a coffee. £1000 uberfirm!

La la laaa


No comments: