Friday 7 February 2014

So Telemasters and Relicification

Well, this isn't really a Jooky thing, but I kinda snapped up a Telemaster body that had already been finished by MJT (American company with a great rep. for such things.)

Anyway, it looks lovely, the nitro paint - lake placid blue gone green - looks fantastic, loads of pretty crazing and all that, and I'm going to knock myself a TM up at some point. But it has also been relicked, which is OK, but I have to say it shocked me.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind a relic if it looks natural and the damage isn't uniform, and the actual damage itself is realistic. I don't do them myself, but I can see there is an art to it.

So around the edges and the rash de le buckle is there, if a little predictable. What shocked me though was that all of it looks as it has just been done. Fresh rather than aged. Now I realise that probably sounds daft, Telemasters are a recent thing, but if you go to the trouble of aging the paint so very well, why not jump the final hurdle and age the damage too? Just seems a bit weird.

But as I said,  I love the look of the body, and half an hour with a Typhoo tea bag (other brands are available) and it looks more as though it may have happened in the distant past.

But there we are.

As for what to do with it, well, old parts are de rigor mortis, I guess, and I am going to go for a Bigsby too, but it  isn't a Jooky so what do I put on the headstock?

My name isn't Fender so I can't put that on there, so well, I don't know.

Still, I'll work it out.

La la laaaa




2 comments:

Ed said...

I find getting your paws grubby with manly manual work and then poking and prodding the dings with your soiled fingers is a nice way to age the dings that I accidentally inflict on my guitars from time to time.

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Hmmm...not sure I like the sound of this work thing of which you speak. maybe I can subcontract that part to somebody :)