Friday 27 August 2010

Pedalling Away

Gord, where does time go. As it happens, I know, as bratskis are pretty full on, and outside of that I've been having a sneaky plan in a couple of directions...

First up, I've been messing about on paper with a design for a Fuzz and Booster combo, and am pretty happy that it is somewhere close. This is for the Guitar Grounds 'growler' project thing I mentioned before, but let’s face it, it is for fun. I don't mind admitting such things.

Taking my time up front is paying benefits though, as it has set me thinking about the whole approach to take, and given me an idea or three for a couple of Jooky pedals. I said (ad nauseum) before that I was going to be spending some time on pedals now, and I'm a bit happier with that now. I think Sophie will make a come back for one, but with a few new wrinkles, gord bless her.

Secondly, I've been looking at ideas for building a guitar from scratch. Well, a guitar body, crawl before I stumble, and all that. Again, a bit of time up front has helped me get my ideas together and I think if it goes well it will be a bit of a classic. I want something relatively simple - single P90 will come as a big surprise for the regulars - but the body shape and controls will prove to be a bit funky, I think. Not off-the-wall, despite the paisley I quite like nice lines and simple designs, believe it or not, but we'll see where we end-up I guess.

Anyway, the first step was obviously to come up with a design, and the second is to think about wood. For that I'm thinking something that has been reclaimed - it is still Jookydom after all - and as luck would have it there is a cool place not a million miles away that does that. As to the type of wood, I was thinking mahogany, but I'm quite open to trying a few different ones. Ash is lighter and zingier, and then, well, we'll see.

As for cutting it, I'm going to invest in a Router and hopefully I have somebody that will show me the ropes (though to be honest theoretically, I think I have a good idea.)

I'll document it as I go anyway.
Should be fun.

Cool.

No comments: