Thursday 19 August 2010

Getting Growly

A Fuzzy Face, obv.
Well, the forum pedal idea is starting to take shape, and it seems as though some kind of combined Fuzz/Booster is the favourite, and so I'm starting to fiddle around on paper and see what I can come-up with. It is going to be called 'The TGG Growler' by the way, and you will be able to follow it's 'progress' here if you want to join in. If you haven't seen The Guitar Grounds forum, it is well worth a visit, by the way, a really nice bunch of people and no tw*ts allowed. Your present company excluded, and all that...

As you may know, I built the Sophie's Filthy Boots fuzzes before and never quite got as far as making any to sell, but hopefully this will get me going again, so who knows, you might see Sophie make a comeback at some point as well, while I'm at it.

Though I think this will be a bit different in the Fuzz stakes...she was such a dirty gurty.

The 'TGG Growler' pedal will have to be designed to be built, if that makes sense, which is something else to think about, and I've already come to the conclusion that a modular 'Lego-like' approach is worth a pop.

What I mean by that is that it will have a couple of easy to solder boards that will 'snap' together, and maybe the rest of the wiring could be soldered away from the pedal too. Anything that makes it easy to test in isolation, and easier to fix together at the last is worth the effort, after all.

So, basically I'm thinking it will be two switches - turn fuzz and boost off or on, in splendiferous isolation. It will have a Fuzz knob, and a Boost knob, maybe a third for Volume too if I'm feeling adventurous. Oh, a couple of LEDs too, I guess and it all has to be true-bypass, so it is nicely quietsome when it is switched-off. And then I guess it should work for both battery and 9V power too.

Hmmm...sounds like it could be fun...

No comments: