Friday 8 April 2011

WIP - The Lulu One

Step 1 - Find a Girl and Cover her in Paisley
Well, another day of waiting in for a courier to show up (or not - depending on which way the breeze tumbles), I've carried on a bit with the Lulu One.

Following on from yesterday, as you can see I have completely covered the pine-of-loveliness body with my golden paisley. Bloody good it looks too, and to be perfectly honest I was severely tempted to just lacquer it like that and be done with it, but I've taken so long to get around to doing Lulu that I couldn't give in there, now could I?

Step 2 - Cover Her With Copper
Anyway, I have a master plan for this one, and it would be a shame not to at least try it out.

And that is the key to The Lulu One - I really don't know how it will turn out. Haven't got a clue. Zilch and nada. Uncharted shark infested paddling pools, is where I find meself hopping to and fro.

But I have hope and as step one was to paisley it up, so step two is obviously going to be for me to cover the top in copper leaf so you can't see the paisley at all.

Makes sense, eh?

Well, that I did and very coppery it looks too.

So is that it?

Step 3 - Pour Acid On Her Like Tears
Nope, by jimminy, there is a final flourish that will either make you gasp and go 'wow' and  generally wiggle your ears in admiration, or it will fail dismally and all the effort and planning will become a waste of time (and we have so little, each and every one of us, so we need to make all our arrows count. I learned that on a course once.).

Step 3 then was to slightly rough the copper up in a few places, and then drip and drop a secret mixture of magical bobbins in liquid form onto the copper front.

Why would I do that?

Well, the idea is that it will artificially age the copper leaf so that it 'patinates' and goes funny colours. Better still, and this is the whole point, it will in places, hopefully dissolve patches of the copper entirely so that (roll of trumpets, fanfare of elephants on balls)...allow the lovely golden paisley to show thru.

Well, that is the plan/hope/dream and I haven't got a clue as I type this and wait for the magic copper burning elixir to do it's stuff, whether it will work or not.

Step 4 - She goes to pieces, basically
It could end-up horrible, and in truth I don't know how the grain filler on the fabric will react to all of this elixir-ing either, so we will just have to see. No flames yet though.

(Maybe I should have lacquered the fabric first, I don't know Hmm.)

Still, as you can see in the final foto of the day (it took me a while to get around to posting this) it has started to work. Have to see what it looks like tomorrow, I guess..see if any paisley is making an appearance thru the front door.

But that is the best part innit? Taking a chance and seeing if there is any magic to be had, any hold in them there gills.

And on that fishy note, I'll go back to my waiting. I'm sure the courier will arrive, sometime.

No comments: