Tuesday 26 April 2011

End of the Holibobs

Tomorrow...Only a Day Away...
Well, my Signature guitar idea seems popular (I've never had so many emails - tis soooo very bizarre immediate popularity). so that I will need to sort out in the very nearest of futureness.

Last day of the school holibobs today mind, so I'm thinking more about finishing a guitar tomorrow.

Which to choose..hmmm?

I think it will have to be The Blue Moon One, as basically that just needs some soldering and I should be able to get that done before the brats get more holiday for a wedding of all things. It was bad enough that they got a fortnight off because some geezer got crucified, but a wedding - sheesh.

It'll never last anyway.

Still, the Blue Moon One -  Lippy pups and all, that would be nice.


Today though, I am mainly 'visualising' what I'm going to do to my Old Burny One, as I've finally got to the bottom of the finish. Basically, it is going to have a 24 karat gold top to it, but it will be an aged and crackled visage if it works out as planned. I decided not to do the lacquer with nitro, leave a year, attack with a hair dryer plan, but instead am taking my lead from some well known fakirs of antiques and using some special chemicals I'm hoping I can get the effect I want a bit quicker.

(I found a great web site on 'faux' middle eastern antiquities and followed on from there, and man some of the things people use to artificially age bits of plate you really wouldn't believe. I thought I was doing well with a wet tea bag and  a paint by numbers Monet.)

Anyway, once the chemical lorry arrives and I don my NASA suit, I'll try it on my well goldified Strat body and see how it looks. If it is anyway close to what I want I'll go ferrit on the Burny.

As for the Burny, I'm really not sure what to do with the headstock. As it stands it has an awful attempt at a Gibson logo, which looking closer seems to be stuck with super glue over the original Burny one (Why would you do that - crazy?). So do I try and restore it as a Burny, or do I Jookify it proper-like? I think the latter, but I always wanted a Burny, so maybe, maybe..

Nah, Jookification, tis the only way.

I have to say I am looking forward to doing it though - bit of Love's labours about it - fifties wiring, Bare Knuckle Mules, proper gold top, '70s or '80s guitar (actually I could probably age it if I dug out the Burny logo from beneath the Gibbo one, thinking about it).

But circles, go around and around and around again.
Be nice to start doing things again.
Finally.

No comments: