Friday 1 April 2011

Morning Glory, and Doing the Foney Moroni

Well, the post in these here parts can be a bit ropey at times, and you never really know when they will show up - depends on what time they ended the day to hit the cider, has always been my guess.

However, this morning saw an early delivery of some parts ripe for Jookification, and mighty pretty they are too. (although, I have to admit I was hoping it was the T-Topped pickup for The Loveless One arriving, I'd have liked to have sorted that out today. *sigh*)

What they are is a Strat body and neck combo, although the shape of the headstock hints that the 'Fender' logo might be a bit optimistic. Not that I ever leave them on.

I guess it is funny, so many people spend time putting Fender and Gibson logos on things to convince the world their Bitsa is the 'real deal', when as soon as anything shows up here, real or fony mcboney like this one, the first thing I do is sand it off. I must be missing something here, Hmmm...

Anyway, the body is more interesting and quite lovely looking. I'm guessing it is handmade as the routing doesn't look mass produced and the finish in the 'holes' isn't uniform, but what is the wood? I don't know.

It is nice and solid and has a lovely grain in it that goes all thru (not a veneer, I mean), but I'm a bit stumped. The chap who flogged it me said it was Mahogany but that he'd been told it was definitely sycamore by somebody else.

Either way it looks lovely in a '70s Strat kind of way, and it would be a shame to cover it up...so I'm really not sure what I will do with it. The neck is a lovely bit of wood too, it has to be said, just odd about the headstock shape.


Maybe I should leave a Fender logo on a headstock and join the fakers for once, make some money.


Nahhhh, where's the fun in that?
Anyway, I'd feel a total muppet...as opposed to my usual partialness.




No comments: