Sunday 10 April 2011

Sunday Musings of the Inactive Kind

Well, it's been a bit of a flurry over the last week or two with various guitars coming and going and generally I've been pretty pleased, courier no shows apart.

Now, of course, it is the school holibobs so things take a turn for the slow, but I'm hopeful that I'll at least get the chance to finish The Lulu and Blue Moon Two, if nothing else.

I've given up on trying to plan - which in a way has proved 'freeing', so I'm reluctant to talk about anything other than immediate futures anymore, but no doubt will anyway.

A Wizard Novatron - worth building a guitar around?
Not least because I've picked up a lovely old Strat which seems, to me, to be begging for a single Wizard Novatron pickup. I think I mentioned these before and I have to say I am intrigued by them, being lower output than normal (no bad thing in my book, Les Paul seemed to manage quite nicely) and giving an 'unique almost resonatoresque tone'. It looks cool too, which always helps, let's face it.

I might have to order one from Wizard then - can't imagine there are too many floating around in the grey zone of second-hand parts, after all. And did I mention it looks cool?

I'm still dithering about my old Burny Les Paul project too. I have all the parts, well nearly, but I can't quite decide on the finish - or more to the point how I go about getting it. I am going the 24K gold direction for the top, and was thinking about taking the nitro-wait-a-year-attack-with-hair-dryer fork in the road to getting a nicely cracked finish, but I've come across a gilding product which would possibly give a similar effect a lot quicker.

Should I be patient and do it proper-like, or cut across shorty-like and speed things up? I want this guitar to be one I keep, so maybe the former as I'll have it a year before I can finish it, but then...oh, I don't know.

I always want to keep them, of course, but never do - it's the golden rule, after all.

Other than that, I think the web site needs a bit of an overhaul. I like it's simplicity, but as the days of little amps and effects are gone now as far as Jookyland goes - my hands shake too much to solder them, I'm afraid - and the focus is totally on the guitars, it could be simpler. Also, I like the gilded finishes too, so they will stick around a while  I think. I especially like mixing them with the fabric, hmmm... But I'm not talking futures, am I?

No comments: