Monday 11 April 2011

Continuing Journeys In Paisley

Well, I've started to lacquer the Lulu One, and I must admit I was a wee bit worried about how to ensure that I didn't lose the lovely copper sulphate lines where the copper has been eaten away to show the paisley beneath. I searched around a while and couldn't get any useful hints anywhere so I kinda decided to just go for it and do very, verily, very light coats.

The first one was a bit fraught but hopefully that will have sealed it a bit and subsequent ones are 'away' from the copper, if that makes sense. Fingers crissed, but so far I seem to be getting away with it.

I can't quite believe how well this worked, and the guitar is probably the most stunning I've ever seen (OK, I may be biased, but honestly - it is seriously cool in 3D). I was feeling bad about covering the pine - I had half a mind to give it and the neck a very light lacquer and leave it like that, but I am really pleased I didn't. I'm kinda fighting a natural tendency to dive in a and rush to finish it, as I'm kinda scared that if I even look at it wrong I'll screw it up and never be able to replicate it (not that replication is my kinda thing - but this time, I'd really want to.)

As you may have guessed then, I love the effect, and if I can pull it off I think this will be a helluva-striking-piece-of-guitarwork. Hmmm hmmm and a Hmmm.

Other than a bit of lacquering though, I can't see too much going on around here for the next couple of kiddy-caring weeks, but we'll see.

One thing I was pleased about was that I managed to pick up a set of Fender Custom '69 pickups, which are meant to be uber good. I'm thinking these will either go into the speckled Strat body I showed you the other week, or maybe even into the pinky purple Jaguar body I've got - the matching body to The Blue Moon One - The Pink Panther One, that's what I was going to call it, I remember.

That is going to have a nice pink paisley finish, and I like the idea of Stratty pickups in it, so these could be they. I have also got some Hot Texas Strat pickups coming too though, so we'll have to see how I feel when I get that far
.
Speaking of pickups, I've also been thinking more about the Wizard Novatron pickup I mentioned the other day, and I have got an interesting idea for the Strat I plan to put it into (once I've got the dosh to buy it, of course). What I'm thinking is that I would like to try and find a nice way of capturing a sort of rusted iron look. I know there are paints that are ferrous and I'm sure there will be a way. I've always loved the rusty iron man sculpture in the middle of Birmingham, so maybe that sort of effect would be good. We'll see, and maybe it would be more appropriate on a Tele than a Strat anyway.

Ah, so many ideas so little likelihood of completion. Still, tis the thought that counts, apparently.

But, another day of waiting for a courier beckons....

No comments: