Tuesday 4 March 2014

Baritonal Blues In A - I Need More Sleep

Well, anyway, my eyes are a bit ropey at the moment, which is my only excuse, but this evening I thought I'd sidetrack meself with a bit of baratoning of the Bronco.

So I got my impressive set of heavyweight strings - nowt drastic just 13 - 65 - and set about putting them on.

Now I know Boncoish has a normal rather than meaty big scale in the neck department, so I was expecting things to get a bit floppy if I tried to tune it down to A-A, but as the heavy A, D and G strings went on OK, I got more hopeful. perhaps even cocky. Not something I like to admit, but I could have been running before I could crawl, if you see what I mean.

Anyway, all the strings were on, I had tweaked the truss rod,  re-cut the nut, all that bobbins and we were looking good.

Then I tried to tune it, and do you think I could get anywhere near? No problem on the heavy 'uns, they went like a dream but the three lightest strings, more chance of the Pope swearing at mass or more to the point, when I did they were either hyper-tight or flippy-flappy-flopping around.

So I spent an hour convinced that I was missing something blindingly obvious and re-doing everything over and over (and yes, expecting a different result), until finally the penny dropped and I noticed that I had put the strings on in the wrong order. Five minutes later I'd swapped them around (thanking somebody else's god for split Klusons) and it sounds brilliant, and no floppiness apparent at all.

So yes, I need more sleep, schoolboy errors a-go-and-go-again.

La la laaaa


No comments: