Tuesday 21 February 2012

WIP: The Foxy Roxy One

Well, OK, so I didn't get the soldering done yesterday - the third law of Jookiness determined that no-longer-holidaying bratskis are instantly replaced by sick kiddies and put paid to that, but I'm rather pleased at the progress I made on The Foxy Roxy One.

As you can see in the fotos, the headstock and top have been 'finished' whilst the back needs a bit of TLC.

The only nasty surprise was that the shiny chromy pickup rings I was going to use don't fit - or rather they have three holes a la Gretsch, rather than the two your Gibson thingies require. Still, at least they should fit the Gretsch puppies when I get around to using them.

So a bit more shopping there - pickup rings and tuners (which I had forgotten) and strap pins. It's always the strap pins.

As soldering is again unlikely today, I'll be tidying up The Foxy Roxy One and then getting a bit more coppery with The Ronin One. Which is fine I guess.

In other news The Iceblink One is off up a motorway somewhere, heading to the frozen Nord. I had a final play before it went and I have to say it is really cool. Only regretting I didn't record something - divvy. To warm my cockles, I should get a nice old Squier Strat body and neck this week to play with, which will make a change as I haven't done one in what feels ages..

This is going to be a bit of an ensemble piece, and I think will be fun. I'm going for a Gretsch pickup at the bridge, with hints of paisley and walnut. This is for the Music Radar £100 Challenge so I'll need to get my creative accounting cap on again, but that be half the fun. I might go for a second pickup at the neck, but it will depend on what is hidden under the scratchplate when it shows up, or maybe not. I don't know.

I'm sort of fretting about the Challenge this year for some reason. I think it is because I haven't got a clear idea of what I want to do. Or rather I keep having ideas then blowing the budget when I start to do anything about them. Which is daft, I guess, though I've kinda spoiled myself over the last year or so - spending a lot more on the guitars when I build them, so whereas £100 was tricky before it feels kinda impossible now.

Anyway....

La la laaaa










No comments: