Tuesday 14 February 2012

A Gathering of the Witless

Well, it seems as though we are guitars-for-sale-less again, and both my beautiful Old Burny and cool-as-funk Gypsy Ones are off to pastures new. So it means I can get on with other things and buy some parts, but why do I feel as though I am in mourning?

I don't know, tis daft really, but I think the Old Burny One was my ideal Les Paul and I kinda feel like I've done something stupid. I'll have to chase up my charming local tech type and see if the Golden Shower One is ready for a splashback.

Though it wasn't the same, I hate to admit.

But, looking forward as ever, I'm slowly getting the bits together for the Foxy Roxy and Ronin Ones, which I'm looking forward to getting fettled. Must remember to order some paint and chemicals, I've kinda run out again.

Oddly, I had almost forgotten about my little fretless wonder, The Iceblink One, but there it stood in the corner peering thru fluttering eye-lashes.

I've actually been doing that passing-play thing with this, as in everytime I walk past it on the way to the kettle, I have to pick it up and have a wee go. And as I have on average 23 coffees a day, I have kind of got the hang of it's fretlessness now, and I love the sounds that come out of it. Little slides and slurs make such a difference and I'm starting to understand why bass players like to go au natrel. It's not an every day guitar (for me anyway, somebody more competent might disagree) but if I was recording it has some great sounds that you just can't get on a fretted guitar.

I'm still tinkering on the setup though and all is well apart from the high E which I've come to the conclusion is too close to the edge of the neck, so I'm going to cut a thinner nut for it. I'm also going to put a string retainer on - one of the Floyd Rose types to give a bit more pressure on the nut. All of which means I will have to nurture it for a while longer. Shame.

La la laa

I am sooo very technical.

As for The Dust My Broom One, all remains done apart from the soldering of the EMGs, which is somewhat delayed by the fact that I keep forgetting to buy a switch, and lack of opportunity in the soldering dept of course. I'm hoping this week though...

I am quite intrigued to see/hear what the EMGs sound like, and not a little trepidationalist about the whole caboodle. They look pretty cool though, has to be said.

So today is about courier waiting, and a bit of nut cutting in-between waiting toe and fingernail on my bratski superiors, bless 'em. Still haven't got the router out the back of the motor yet mind, so wood chopping is still in the middle-earthen-distance.

heh ho.

No comments: