Wednesday 8 February 2012

Ooo-ah, Foxy

Well, I've still not managed to do any wiring of The Dust My Broom One, so not a lot to talk about there - and the kids are off school again from Friday, so i really need to get me finger out if I want it finished without jammy finger-splodges appearing all over the corroded copper.

But I have to admit that I got a bit distracted thinking about my Jazzmaster....and I may have spent too much time doing Kevin Shields impressions in front of the mirror.


Marc at Mojo didn't help of course, with questions like

'Do you want the magnets aged, if so I'll dip them in yellowed/old nitro'.

I like that kind of attention to detail...he's my kinda geezer.

Saying that, it wasn't entirely my fault that the day disappeared, as I also received the Firebird-esque body and neck combo I mentioned the other day and that is a whole other thingy in the thinking-about-it dept.

I'm sure I mentioned that it is (clearly) hand made and has an oak body and maple/rosewood neck. And very nice it looks too. At least at first sight.

Getting closer, you can see that the body is a little rougher than it looks in the fotos, which in a way is a relief as if it had been perfect I may have struggled to bring myself to refinish it.

It is just surface bobbins though, nothing drastic and the important thing is that it is beautifully made, and I love the weight of it. It feels like a 'proper' guitar, if that makes sense. And verily long in the body dept.

Finish-wise, I fancy a heavily corroded copper to give it a real bluey look, which should work nicely. Maybe just do the top and overrun, as the wood is pretty to look at, of course and wouldn't take much work to make the back pukka, like. I think losing the gloss might be a good move though as it is verily heavy and thick of gleamy lustreness.

As for the rest, it is set for for two volume, two tone, three-way-switch - classic Gibson wiring, so I might go for a Fake58 wiring loom with the bees and all - it is always nice to do it right and Julian the '58 Fakir is golden.

Otherwise, It is set-up to be strung thru the body, so no tailpiece but it'll be an ABR bridge in between, which is cool.

Pickups, I'm thinking I should probably have some, to avoid unsightly holes.

What sort, I really don't know but Hot PAF is calling me, with the usual order of filthy McP90-ness on the side.

It's that sort of thing, hot and dirty,

The Foxy Roxy One.

2 comments:

Dickinstein said...

Wow , thats even prettier than I remember from eBay.
I shall indeed watch this with interest :-)

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Isn't it? I must admit I keep going back and forth on this - whether to refinish it or not. I've took the gloss off so it is sheeny rather than shiny and it looks better still.

Decisions, decisions....and none of them to be seen ;)