Thursday 9 February 2012

Sticking Twisted Mouse Tails

The Firebird and The Marauder
Like a Heavy Parable
Well, despite looking all forlorn, I've still not braved The Dust My Broom One's EMG wiring, maybe tomorrow.

However, I did remove the gleam from The Foxy Roxy One, which now looks kinda like the old Tokai violin finish, and rather nice.

I've been dithering, but am definitely going to finish the top with tortured copper as I think the blueyness will bring out the green in my eyes, and it is as simple as that around here.  End of.

In other news, the Marauder also arrived. This is one solid piece of maple, man it is lovely, and it has some serious heft to it. Or I am getting weaker, or have been playing my feather-of-weight Gordo too much recently.

Tick as you feel able to deem appropriate.

Either way it is a quite beautiful looking guitar, and I can see me being in trouble once it is done, as I can't imagine letting it go.

I also tracked down an original NOS pickup for the Marauder, the single coil one - a proper old fashioned Gibson jobbie - which should be cool. Be nice to get close-ish to the original spec and then trample all over it. I'm thinking that a similarly aged humbucker would be nice too, though the original Gibbo ones weren't meant to be all that.

The Ronin One - 3 Tonnes of Maple And Some Tinny Bits
 My only real concern over it is finding a bridge as it would have come with one of those boxy '70s Gibson ones you see on old SGs. The only place I've seen them in living memory is at Fake58 and they are about £60, and I'm poor. Might have to bite that bullet though if I can't scavenge one elsewhere, I guess. Though would a normal ABR be the end of anything greeny-blue-planet-like? Dunno.

I was kinda wondering whether I could do the Marauder as part of the MR $100 Challenge, but no chance now as my parts bill is mounting far and widely. So back to the drawing board on that one.

I haven't taken the router out of the back of my car yet either, which might be an alternative, but such is life.

Other than that, Marc at Mojo Pickups has been hard at work and has sent me a couple or three shots of the Jazzmaster pickups at different stages of the winding process, and they are now complete. Which I thought I'd share with you, so here they be.

The daft thing is he'll probably get the pickups made and to me before the scratchplate or other bits show their mugs.

Such is my life of Internet shopping, it never used to be like this down Denmark Street.

La la laaaa

Step 1: Get Your Bobbins Together


Step 2: Wind Your Wire Around and Around and
Around and Around and Around and Around etc.
Step 3: Hang Twisted Mouse Tails Out The Back For
Mucho Mojo Pickup Delightedness

1 comment:

Simon Murphy said...

Strange as it may sound I have been looking for a Marauder copy to turn into a solid body resonator - would you consider selling it to me? you can contact me at thesimonmurphy@yahoo.con