Friday 10 February 2012

Strategic-am-we

A Piece of Wood
Earlier Today
That I Don't Have
Well, school holibobs for a week or so now, so I'm back into thinking mode, and the thinking I've been ponderously thoughting is what to do with my lack-of-work-in-progress thingies, and this is the current state of play:

1. The Dust My Broom One

This is all together, has some EMG pickups in place and just needs wiring. That should be easy.
Well, confusing, but not a lot to worry about.
Unless I cock it up, which is always possible,
unless I don't in which case it'd be a shoo-in.

2. The Foxy Roxy One

This is my delight-filled Oak bodied Firebird-ish one. It will be copper and acid clad and grunged up, some lovely '50s wiring, and I think a P90 plus a PAF-ish humbucker in the pickup department.

3. The Ronin One 

This will be bronze and acid drizzled, blend potted, Marauder Single Coil plus a Marauder Humbucker after a bit of ker-jiggling. The blend pot is instead of a switch, which is something I keep meaning to use, but haven't until now. So all-in-all, it should be lovely.

I'm thinking it might be nice to have a paisley scratchplate, just for old times sake, though it will probably be a plain black one in truth. as it will work better with the corroded copper.

How much of that I get to do in the near future, I'm not entirely sure, but painting and buying things I can manage, even if the solder and hot wiring has to be done when freedom beckons once more 'tween the hours of 9am and 3pm.

Blah blah blah

Other than that, I'm a bit stuck what to do for the £100 Challenge as I have already blown the budget in a big way for the Marauder, and will only take moments to do so for the Firebird as well.

Oops, just blown that one too.

It seems a bit of a cop out to simply get a cheap Strat body and neck and do something with that, though it is an option. I have got some walnut burr laminate, which I could use, but what to put it on? Tis a tough call.

What I'd really like to do is make a body out of some wood (that I haven't got) as that will be something I haven't tried before.

Hmmm....I think I need to get the router out of the car and plug it in, see if I can work it or not.

Maybe that is what I should do for the challenge though - it is a great place and time to try something different, and you never know where it will lead. Have to think this one thru. I've been mithering for ages now about building my own guitar body from scratch, and there we are.

Why not just get on with it...?

La la laaa

2 comments:

Dickinstein said...

Do it mark !!!!! I have always wanted to make one from scratch too , but I really really don't have the skill :-(

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Cheers Andy - not sure I have either, but I think I will give it a go. It wouldn't be the first time I failed to finish something if the worst happens ;)