Friday 27 May 2011

A Kick Up The '80s

I was talking about the SG body I picked-up the other week - if you remember it was going to have a geometrically challenged finish - and still may.

Anyway, I was trying to get my head around what pickups to put in it, when I happened across a chap flogging a couple of pickups from an '80s Gibson SG. Being a geezer of little brain, "SG = SG", to me, sounded like a good idea.

Well, it turns out that the pickups in question are the HB-L ones Gibson made in conjunction with Bill Lawrence for a couple of years before moving on to the hot ceramic thingies we know and sort of love these days.

Now I've not tried them yet, clearly, but like the T-Tops I mentioned before and included in the rather wonderfilled Loveless One, they are a bit of a Marmite thing. They are either revered or reviled, though like most things scarcity seems to be increasing their reputation  nigh on twenty-odd years later. I haven't got them to hand yet, but reading around it seems that they have little circuit boards on the back ... most odd. I did find a picture, but whether mine will look the same, I'll have to let you know.

No surprise then to hear me say that I'm rather curious to discover how they sound - loud at a guess as they are rated at a whopping 13K - so it should be fun.

A Little Red Charvette
As I'm-all-a-waiting parts yet again for those I should be doing, I've been having a sneaky think about what to do with the SG body, and I am going go for the '80s thing and stick with the geo-fabric, but give it a platinum leaf top, suitably shredded I expect.

Bit of a Super Trooper One then.

I've always wondered what Angus would have looked like if AC/DC had emerged as Disco....

Speaking of the '80s, I've just picked-up a rather bright looking, pointy guitar - a Charvette - which is crying out for some diamante, I would imagine. I've never had a proper pointy guitar (as basically at the time they were everything I hated about guitars, to be quite frank), but I don't mind trying something different, and you never know it might be fun...

Shield those retinas kiddies...







UPDATE:
Well, the pickups arrived and they do indeedy look super-cool, and all very Matrix-like.
In fact this whole post looks particularly Keanu Reeves inspired in many ways.
But the pickups - they are a matched pair - a HB-L and a HB-R, known as 'The Original'.

Methinks that wee SG is going to Raawwkkk

Have a fine weekend

No comments: