Thursday 5 June 2014

Fuzztastically Cool

Well, I don't tend to use effect pedals much these days - I used to be a complete junky pedal whore - but in recent weeks I've kind of collected a few, just for a change like. Flangers I love, and a bit of chorus is very nice too thank-you-very-much, and delay is just cool, and as for my favourite Dod Classic Tube Overdrive, well, what can I say. Stuff your Centaur, this is awesome.

But for me, I have to say, fuzz is the perfect pedal. It sounds groovy, you can get away with a lot (always a consideration for me, I have to admit) and there is so much variation to be had, the world is a better place.

So when I was talking to Mike at 'Life Is Unfair Audio',  I did the obvious thing and tapped him up for a good deal on one of his glorious pedals, and man am I glad I did.

The pedal I got is his 'Awkward Breed', and it nailed everything he described.

So anyway, it showed-up yesterday, custom painted with style and and all due aplomb, and after the 'Fuzz Factory' disaster which I really can't bring myself to talk about, I was pleased that it only had two knobs to twiddle. For one with such a little brain, it was quite the relief, I have to say.

See, as far as pedals go, I'm more your find-a-sound-I-like-and-walk-backwards-from-it-and-never-return kinda guy, as opposed to your sonic explorer. But with fuzzes especially, I do want to use those funny knob things on the guitar and change things around that way, and so this has proven perfect.

And a two-knobber it may be, but man there is no shortage of stimulation. My first inclination is to go for a classic 60s fuzz, and that was easily found - I was playing The Rilkean One, so what did you expect? - but that wasn't the end of it's range, as a twiddle here and there could take you all the way to daft flat battery noises, and every stage in-between.

In a lot of ways it reminds me of the range of tones I used to get from my Zoom Ultra Fuzz, which I'm sure isn't bootique enough for many, but has an incredible variety on tap. But loving the Zoom though I am, this definitely has a richer sound across the spectrum, and manages to both give you those classic sounds whilst also being totally modern. A nifty trick to pull off indeedy.

Mike is launching Life Is Unfair Audio on-line soon, and if this is his starting point, I fear I may well be joining the ranks of the pedal junkies once more. In fact I have gone back to an old Ibanez DFL Flanger - Tom Morello started using one after he heard mine all those years ago. Probably. - so can't wait to see that and my Awkward Breed playing nicely together. Going to be groovy.

If you want to get in touch with Mike, he is on The Fretboard Here. Top chap and brilliant builder methinks.

Right, back to murdering My Bloody Valentine...

La la laaa












No comments: