Friday 17 May 2013

Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da, I Got A New Guitar


Well, I seem to be on a bit of a trip at the moment, as a new arrival this morning ticks off another of those guitars-I-never-thought-I'd-own entries on the list marked Non Chance.

As you can probably see it is a Rosewood Telecaster, something I've long lusted after since seeing George Harrison's one somewhere or other.

First things first, it is a 'Replica' put together in the UK by a top chap called Rich and dare I say it is closer to the original in a lot of ways than any Fender have made since Let It Be. It also didn't cost the £15K one of the old uns seem to go for.

For a start, the body is solid rosewood, made from two pieces and utterly stunning looking. The one Fender gave to Georgy Boy was solid (though pancaked with a maple strip - which this isn't), but the ones they made for sale were chambered to get over the fact that solid rosewood weighs a ton or more. This is just shy of 13lbs according to the kitchen scales, so go figure. Regardless, it has had a lovely nitro finish and will no doubt age like a demon.

The neck too is all rosewood apart from a maple skunk stripe (again differing from the originals). Most of the recent Fenders have just gone for normal maple/rosewood necks and lose a lot in the process I fear.

As for the rest, all the parts are standard Fender fayre, with the exception of a couple of Marc Ransleys excellent pickups, which lets face it I would have put in anyway.

As for the sound, well Rich described it as a monster and that is spot on. The sustain is incredible - good Les Paul territory and it has a different tone from any other tele I've played. Still with all the twang, but maybe a bit warmer and richer (fuller? - god I'm crap at describing this stuff). It does need a few tweaks but nothing drastic and it will make it feel more like mine anyway, so no worries there.

As for the weight - as I tend to play sat sitting these days, it isn't an issue but I can imagine standing on a roof top for a couple of hours in London, it must have   been trying.

Other than that it arrived in one of those lovely retro Fender G&G hardcases which sets the scene.

So there we are, Old Rosey is in the house and for once I really can't imagine this guitar ever leaving me.

La la laaaa






5 comments:

Philip said...

Wow, that certainly is a beauty. Congratulations! I have an all rosewood neck on the way from USA Custom Guitars. Don't think that I'll be putting it on an all rosewood body but this makes me want to!

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Cheers CS - the neck is a total joy, I have to say, I'm sure you'll love it...

Kitster said...

So where do we find and get one and how much?

Kitster said...

So where do we all find and get one like this and how much?

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Ah, it was a one off, I'm afraid, there won't be any more to my knowledge :(