Monday 20 December 2010

Happy Anniversary

I know it is sad, but I spend a lot of time looking at guitars - far more than I do playing them recently, and I can't help but notice that anniversaries are quite popular, whether it is PRS and twenty years or more, Fender and fifty or Gibson - well, probably a hundred, I don't know. I look but don't really take that much notice.

Anyway, it struck me that Jooky has been around for more than a year now, though the first guitar wasn't finished until April, I think. (I will check - good thing about listing the dates on the web site, negates a need for a memory on my part.)

And in truth it has been a funny year, and despite things generally being in a little turmoil most of the time, I'm quite pleased with most things. There have been a few guitars that haven't actually been finished, or weren't good enough once they were, and they will remain in a vault nowhere near you. But generally, yeah not too bad for a muppet like me.

But anniversaries, and I'm thinking that I should do something special for our first anniversary model. I can't see the point of replicating a genuine 2010 model, which is the normal approach, so instead I'm going to go totally off the wall, if I can.

I've got a few months to do it anyway, but maybe it should be my first 'original' body, that I keep talking about and never actually doing. Or maybe a copper top, rather than a scratchplate, or maybe even both.

Who can say...?

I've thought of having somebody else make the bodies or have the copper cut to shape at different times, but I don't think there is any point and I glad I didn't go that route. Jooky wasn't ever been meant as a business (good job too) and getting other people involved is sooo much hassle, and you have to start thinking in a different way. It matters if you sell things or not for one, which always crushes the art (baby)

You get a watered down version and end-up second guessing what people want. And for one-offs, there is little point in that, to sell a Jooky guitar is kinda special. I have to find that one person who gets that one guitar, which is all good fun. And mainly unlikely.

I do know I'll .have to get me pondering bonnet on though...and my finger out. It's still good fun, most of the time and I've learned a lot on the way, which was the point after all.

So as a start 2010 has been good in lot's of ways, but I think 2011 will be feckin' amazing. Bring it on me old beauty...

No comments: