Saturday 4 December 2010

Floating Like A Turtle

I said before that when I got the body for the J-Bird One, I also got a second body to play with too.

Anyway, bored as I’ve been, I’ve been thinking what that little treasure is going to do with it’s life too, and have come up with a plan.

Firstly, I have a quite lovely Strat neck. Biggish headstock, so a lot more trad Jazzy-like than the J-Bird will be, but there we are. The neck is a handmade, nitro finished jobbie, which is all cool. Lovely in fact.

In terms of pickups, I got a couple of P90 Soapbars out of a PRS SE Soapbar which I really want to try in the Ash Jaguar body. These are the pickups I used in The Paisley One, all those months ago, and that sounded beautiful, so I have high hopes. 

I’ve never really been that grabbed by PRS guitars, but their cheapo SE range seems a lot more interesting to me, and they seem to have an attention to detail whatever the price when it comes to the pups. I also got some from a PRS Tremonti, which is cool. Whoever he is.

As far as tuners go, this isn’t a Jazzmaster clone trip, but I do have some Kluson-esque tuners, that I might use, which could be good. I like the split pole thing, even if they can be a pain to string-up.

In terms of the finish, I have some fine purply pink paisley I’ve been looking for a good place to use and I can feel a bit of glitter sneaking in somewhere too.

Only fly in the ointment for all of this is that like the J-Bird I need to route out some wood to fit the P90s in…and still no router to play with.

Still, I think Katy's Killer Customs apart, The Purple Turtle One will fill an hour or fifty over the coming weeks. 

Here's a bit of Silver Mountain Zion

No comments: