Tuesday 26 January 2010

No Logo


I was wondering, the other day, why I never get comments on this blog, but do get emails from people. Then I realised I hadn't switched the comments on, so sorry about that. I would love to hear what people think about all of this bobbins, good, bad or WTF. So let me know if there is anything on your mind, as it were.

What reminded me of this, is that I got an email yesterday from Christ in New York, asking why I don't have a neato logo on everything, as it would help with the branding, which you have to say is a fair point. And as it happens, I've, in the past, spent many a long boring meeting on logos and brand values, trying to enhance offerings and generally milk them babies.

And I  have even tried my best to create such a thing with a little company I loved and lost once-upon-a-time. So brands, I am aware of, and I guess by calling this 'The Jooky Guitar Emporium' and not just 'Stuff I make' I am in a way trying to give it an identity, which is like a brand really. A name.

But logos? Well, to be honest that isn't what this is all about. And marketing spin? Not my cuppa tea this time around either.

And will I be sending Guitarist magazine review 'copies?'

I doubt it somehow, as even if I did and they reviewed it and liked it and wrote nice things, and loads of guitarists all over the place thought

'I know, I'd like a Jooky little amplifier or a pair of Sophie's Dirty Boots'

and showed-up looking to buy such delights from this Emporium.
Even if they did that, they would all just end-up shrugging shoulders and wondering where all the products are. They would never get to do that guitarist forum thing where somebody says

'I got a Jooky pedal, it's soooo very coooool'
and somebody else would say

'Oh, I was going to get one of those'
and then somebody else would say

'Oh, the other guitarist in my band got one, but he thought it was a one-trick-pony',
and then maybe someone else - you know the guy, the self-appointed expert - well, this someone else guy would say

'But isn't that like the pedal Chapman made as a prototype before he concentrated on his stick, and buried in his garden unheard by any living person as he was embarrassed as he couldn't get it to work but not before sketching out a schematic on the back of a fag packet which he left lay around and I saw on display in a glass cabinet guarded by elves in the cellar of the music shop around the back of my school in Abersychan. Jooky just nicked it from there.'
and then somebody else would say

'Yeah, I heard that'
and then everybody would join in and it would be,
like,
hell.

And basically, I don't want that sort of hassle.

So the way I see it is that I'll make things that I like.
One at a time and all just because I like them or the idea.

Once I've made them, I'll write on them, in me bestest paw
so you can tell where they came from
with a number and
everything.

I generally will use a marker pen, like a Sharpie or something.
Or like on the Paisley One here, I might burn it on.
Depends how I feel, really.
I'm just along for the ride
like a leaf in a stream.

Think I need more sleep.

p.s. I meant to mention, that if you are rather attached to logos on your guitars - and looking around eBay you can spend a lot of money buying one - HERE is a nice way to do it on the cheap, if you are looking for a Fender logo anyway. I tried water slide decals on my guitar build, and they are dead easy to use.

p.p.s. If you arrived at this page by searching for milk them babies you are at the wrong web site and probably need help.

No comments: