Friday 25 October 2013

Arty Decisioning

Well, it won't be for a little while - school holibobs and all that - but I got to the bottom of what I'm going to do with The Lingering Honey One as far as the finish goes, and it is all inspiring and wickedly cool..

A long long time ago, I used to work in a wonderfilled place in London called The Hoover Building, though not stacking shelves for Tesco around the back. If you haven't seen the place it is a beautiful old Art Deco style pile, which was originally a Hoover factory, but by the time I got there had been renovated 'in keeping' and turned into rather stylish offices.

Anyway, I've always loved Art Deco - the Rennie Macintosh House in Glasgow I'd happily move into, though I wouldn't trust the chairs - so I figured it would be rather cool to do a guitar inspired in some way by that. I think it is the covers of the Mojo Gold Foils, not really Art Deco but they have that classy classic look.

So it means a few changes to the original spec - the Sperzel tuners will be replaced by Grover 109C jobbies, the pickguard  will be a bit different too and most of all the finish will be a step aside from rust or gold.

I think the back and sides and neck will stay with the old wood look of stain and oil, but the top will be a different design. I'm tempted to do it in acrylics, but thinking about it, keeping with the copper and bronze theme of the headstock would work really nicely, especially as  it will age into new colours. because I think it should have a faded vibe to it, The Hoover Building seems a long time ago and art is dead now anyway, innit?

La la laaa

No comments: