Thursday 19 September 2013

Feeling Rusty

Well, I'm having all manner of fun-ness doing some Strappado bobbins, and the second pair are coming along quite nicely-thank-you-verily-much.

The one on the left is a real multi-metal combo - I've exposed more of the alumium as that is quite sparkly, and layered it with copper and bronze over some iron, so as it corrodes it will be all rainbow-like.

On the right I wanted to do a straight rusty iron job, as I must admit this is still my fave.

There is something sadly and yet deeply satisfactory about seeing iron rust. I can't get enough of it.

And this really is my first trial with my new way of doing it. The rustifying acid stays the same, but I did a lot of meandering and head-scrabbling over the summer to try and improve the way I fix it all.

Originally I used lacquer, but you lost a lot of the colour of the corroded bits, it was cool, but things can get better. Next I went with the hard wax oil which was a bit more stable, and now I've found a strange mix of beeswax and essential oils originally used by Egyptian Religious nuts to keep Pharaohs eyes looking gleamy in their pyramids. I kid you not. You really want to try milking an asp sometime. This even  lets the corrosion carry on for a little while which is stunning, and means it will age nicely.

And it seemed to work well on the scrap wood before, but this is the big test and again it seems to be panning out so far.

But time will tell...

La la laaaa

No comments: