Tuesday 21 June 2011

WIP: The Rusting Nail and Red or Dead Ones

Red or Dead - From the front
it is hard to know what to think
Well, I must admit I'm rather pleased with the progress yesterday, on The Rusting Nail and The Red or Dead Ones...if not on my Blue Moon One

Starting with the Red, the variegated leaf finish looks quite stunning already and I'm all agog, it has to be said.

Still not sure what to do with the scratchplate yet, but in summary - cor blimey.

I think I'm going to go for the set of Hayman single coils for it as they had a good rep back-in-the-day and are a wee bit different to the norm, after all.

As for The Rusting Nail One, well as you can see from the fotos, the iron paint of yesterday has rapidly turned into a mass of swirling rustiness.
Iron paint - all battleship like

It is quite beautiful up close and very effective from a distance.

I didn't try it in between, but I'm thinking that the middle distance will be pretty impressive too.

Can't quite believe my luck how well it went, in truth.



Anyway, today will be the real test as I'm going to lacquer both of them. I know the leaf will survive easily enough, but will I lose the rust? I'm really not sure - I hope not though.

One problem with it of course is that I forgot that I needed to drill a couple of holes in the guitar before I started rusting it, but I'll do that by hand once it is lacquered.
The Rusty Back

In other news, you may have noticed that I put a 'Coming Soon' link at the top of the page.

As time goes on I'll keep this updated as and when I start/finish different guitars.

Nowt flash but it'll help me keep my head straight if nothing else.

In even more otherish news, I've decided on what is happening with The Beaton One.

It will have a single Irongear Alchemist P90, which I think I mentioned before (or maybe didn't) and then a built-in Sophie's Filthy Boots Fuzz.

I got a good selection of Germanium diodes to try, and so basically it will have a volume and a fuzz. Simple as that.

And The Rusty Front
(though still drying at this point)
As for giving it away, basically I have decided to offer it as a swap or trade, where whoever offers me something they have made in exchange that is totally unique and catches my fancy gets the guitar.

I'm not too interested in value, so cakes, pedals, woolly hats are all good and humour is an advantage. Bodily fluids I'm less interested in.

So there we are, I'll work it out proper like once I've done the guitar, whenever that may be.

That rust really, truly is beautiful though.


No comments: