Tuesday 7 June 2011

Picking-Up Pickups

Well, as you may have noticed by my accidental re-posting of the Lulu page, the girl has dumped me and move on to pastures new - well will do in the next couple of days anyway. I had just about convinced myself to keep her when a nice chap called David snaffled her from under my nose. That always happens when I am at the point of forgetting my golden rules.

Moving forward, I mentioned before my varied and far-too-big collection of body parts (guitar, that is, not a Khmer Rouge tribute type of thing), but that I'm lacking a wee bit in the pickup department.

No big deal, but it does slow me down a touch and makes the guitars quite quiet in their absence.

Anyway, as seems to be the way of things, parts seem to float in this direction when I come to think about them (or rather I notice the ones I would normally be oblivious of) and so I've been 'stocking-up', as it were.

First up I have a set of Bare Knuckle 'Piledriver' pickups. These are for a Tele (forgetting that I haven't got a Tele body that they will drop into, apart from the parquet one) and are hotter than normal. Interesting, anyway.

Nextly, I liked the Fender Custom '69s so much on The Pink Panther One, that when I was offered another set I grabbed them, despite not really knowing what I'd do with them. Still, I'm sure they will come in useful somewhere down the line.

Afterwardly, a couple of old favourites, IronGear's beautiful Alchemist 90 humbucker sized P90s popped-up and I had to grab them. I think they will be nice in one of the SG bodies somewhere down the line. I like P90s.

Then of course I need a couple of Soapbar P90s (as I always do) and have a few options - a pair of Bare Knuckle 'Nantucket' Soapbars, which I've tried before and have 'that' sound in spades. I also hold gallons of  knowledge of a couple more of the PRS Soapbars which are amazingly good, and tone-wise not much different to the Bare Knuckles, so they tempt me. I'm also itching to try a Seymour Duncan P90 Soapbar, mainly because I never have before...and I know where one is going ...and generally, too many options. I haven't had a Catswhisker soapbar thinking about it, or a Wizard one so maybe, just maybe...

Other than that, I fancy using an Alnico II humbucker for something quite old skool, so I'm sniffing around for that too.

So in summary, s-h-o-p-p-i-n-g.

Mmmmm...

No comments: