Saturday 18 June 2011

Progress, Regress...

Well, I must admit I didn't get much 'work' done yesterday, but what I did do was step away from the chaos and have a little think about the guitars I keep mentioning that I'm really-really-and-very-really-going-to-build sometime soonish and tried to get things a little straighter in my little brain. I needed to do a list of parts (stock-taking, can you imagine?) and an idea of the guitars I'd at least promised myself (mainly because I come to do something and realise that the neck I was going to use has already taken a starring role elsewhere).

I know, of course, that as soon as I list them everything changes (but you) but what the hell; here are the scores on the doors, and all that.

One Day...I might have Strings Attached
1. First of all, I really do need to finish The Blue Moon One. A blue paisley Jaguar/Jazzmaster type of thing with a copper scratchplate, Schaller tuners, and three lovely lipstick pickups - well, it is the ultimate Jooky guitar by my calculations.

OK, no P90 but I'll forgive it that. All it needs is for my hands to stay steady long enough for me to finish the wiring. Oh, and my brain clear enough to think in a straight line while I'm at it. I need this guitar finished. I even wrote the date on as I was so close to finalising it (and that is always the last thing I do) - and that was back in April.

2. Next up is The Beaton One. This is a Strat, multi-leafed  experimental (or maybe just mental) finish and genuinely chaotic. Just needs putting together, it is even wired. This was an odd one in a way, as the body had been around for a while - I'd tried different types of leaf on it, and then at some point decided to tidy it up. And looking again in a gloriously techni-chaos I noticed that well, it just looked amazing. A quick scurry around and I had a neck, all the parts and voila. Apart from I haven't done the final put-together.

Why that is, I'm really not sure. What I do know is that I've decided I'm going to give The Beaton One  away once it is done, I'm just not sure who to or in what way.

One day, I just...might.
3. The Old Burny One - my '80s Burny Les Paul, the top is already gold but needs more work. This is my own personal purgatorial challenge as like The Blue Moon One, it has gone on a bit. Not sure on the pickups for this one now, as I sold the Bare Knuckle  Mules I'd planned on putting in it as my 'gut' said they were wrong, for some reason. And you have to follow your gut - least I've never managed to overtake mine. I'm coming to the conclusion that if I can manage to fix the damage I did to the Bill Lawrence 'The Original' Gibson 'buckers, they would be somewhat fitting. Time-wise anyway, I might of course revert to type and just go with a couple of P90s instead. Other than that it's my 'Hugh' '50s wiring, Gibson tuners and everything else is ready to go. A familiar tale, I just need to get my act together.

4. The Rusting Nail One - OK, I haven't started it, but this is another SG of sorts, will have a rusting iron finish, a Wizard 'novatron' pickup matched with an IronGear Alchemist 90. Sooper keen to start this one, as you can no doubt tell. But I haven't yet. The Novatron should show up next week as will other other bits I was light-of, so fingers crossed and heh-ho for the open road.

5. The Red or Dead One - This is another offset wonder and is to have a lush red variegated leaf kind of finish with maybe something different for a scratchplate. Can't quite make up my mind on the pups - though I have a couple of Jazzmaster pickups, or is that too obvious? Dunno. I am thinking about a set of Burns single coils, as they are lush, or I notice The Creamery are releasing a set of their own along the same lines, which too could be chilly-cool.

6. The Moulin Rouge One - This is to be a Tele Custom with a PRS P90 at the neck and an early '70s Gibson mini humbucker at the bridge. It is going to have a quite screwed up red paisley finish, with leaf used somewhere or other to add a touch of glamour and magic. All set to go on this one now too, just need to, well, start.

After those I still have a ton of bodies and necks and more parts that I can think of. But that will no doubt be into the new year, and I'll have done something different by then anyway.

For the confused, I know I  keep changing the names of the guitars, but who cares really? It's only make believe at the best of times...

No comments: